Outlook Express 2Gb limit problem.
How to repair oversized DBX file in Outlook Express.
All messages in Outlook Express are stored in special DBX files. Every folder of Outlook Express
has its own single DBX file. It means that Inbox.dbx file contains messages for Inbox folder,
Outbox.dbx file contains messages for Outbox folder and so on. Maximum allowed size of DBX files is
equal 2Gb and that can cause some serious problems. Point is that the users often use e-mail nowadays
to exchange different files with each other. As a rule, these are documents, photos, music, videos,
program files, etc. All these files are of big size and your mailbox can eventually reach the 2Gb limit.
When DBX file reaches its size limit in 2Gb you can't place any messages in it anymore.
But the worst is that you can't delete any emails from this folder to make its size smaller.
Actually there are two options for your to choose:
- to delete a corresponding DBX file and create a new empty one instead loosing all the messages stored in this file at that;
- to use a special tool to repair your Outlook Express folder.
If you are not going to lose all the emails stored in the folder irrecoverably, use
Repair Tool for Outlook Express.
To repair an oversized Outlook Express folder, do the following:
- Use Repair Tool for Outlook Express (download) to
extract messages from the Outlook Express folder to Windows folder
- Delete the Inbox.dbx file. At the next Outlook Express startup, the
Inbox.dbx file will be recreated and of course it will be empty. To find
out where Outlook Express stores DBX files, start Outlook Express and
click "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Maintenance" -> "Store Folder"
- Then import your messages from the Windows folder to the Outlook
Express folder (how to import...)