Recovering Windows Live Mail Messages after Account Deletion
When you delete your Windows Live Mail account, all information stored in it is completely erased. If you are faced with the need to recover deleted emails, we will tell you how to do it easily and quickly.
- How to extract emails from deleted Windows Live Mail account
- How to recover deleted Windows Live Mail messages in Windows 10
How to extract emails from deleted Windows Live Mail account?
The described method is simple and effective, but applicable only to Windows Vista and Windows 7 (will not work in Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10).
- Close the Windows Live Mail program.
- Open My Computer and go to the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft Note: The AppData folder has the Hidden attribute, you must enable the display of hidden files and folders in the settings of Windows Explorer.
- Locate the folder called Windows Live Mail and copy it to a safe place. A drive other than drive C is the best choice: to prevent overwriting deleted data. This will be a backup.
- Return to the original Windows Live Mail folder, right-click on it and click on the menu item Restore previous versions. The Windows Live Mail Properties window opens with the Previous Versions tab selected, which displays a list of available recovery points. You can double click on the recovery point to see its contents.
- Select the recovery point created before deleting the data and click Restore... Windows will ask you to confirm the action, click Restore. Wait for the process to complete.
- Open Windows Live Mail and make sure that the data is restored.
Please note that messages received after the recovery point date will disappear. You can either download them from the server or import EML files from the backup created in step 3. In the latter case, learn how to use Windows Explorer to view folders with .eml files.
Why does this method not work in Windows 10? In simple words, then starting with Windows 8, Microsoft has changed the mechanism of operation of System Protection. If in Windows Vista and Windows 7 this service is used to protect system files and user data stored in the Home folder, then in Windows 10 only for system files. To protect against damage and deletion of user data in Windows 10, it is proposed to use File History and Windows Backup.
- Simple and effective recovery method
- Does not require additional software
- Messages received after the Restore point date are lost
- Messages deleted earlier than the very first Restore point was created cannot be restored
- The method does not work in Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8
If the described method is not applicable for you or you could not recover the data in this way, use the following method.
How to recover deleted Windows Live Mail messages from a local hard drive in Windows 10?
Messages can be recovered from the local disk on which they were stored (usually this is C :) using dedicated software. There is simply a huge number of recovery tools, both universal, allowing you to restore any files, and dedicated, designed to restore only files of one specific format. The difference between the two is that dedicated software is much more efficient because it uses sophisticated content-aware algorithms adapted to search and recover information of a certain type.
For mail clients Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail there is also specialized software for information recovery. Recovery Tool for Windows Live Mail uses low-level content-aware algorithms that perform sector-by-sector analysis of the contents of the hard drive.
To recover messages:
- Download, install and run Recovery Tool for Windows Live Mail.
- In the upper left part of the program window, click on the Scan the entire disk tab and click on C: to select it. Click on the Find and recover lost emails button. The program will begin scanning and analyzing drive C:. This may take several hours, wait for the process to finish. After the scan is completed, the program displays a list of found messages that can be restored.
- Click on the Save recovered emails button to save the messages. In the Select Output Folder window that opens, specify the folder in which you want to save the messages. Do not specify the folder on drive C:! Otherwise, not all messages found can be restored. If you wish, you can also choose how to rename the files of the recovered messages. Click the Save button. Messages will be saved in the specified folder in EML format.
- Open My Computer and go to the folder in which you saved the messages. Customize Windows Explorer for easy viewing of .eml files.
- Launch Windows Live Mail. Using Drag & Drop, drag and drop EML files from the Windows folder to the Windows Live Mail folder.